CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Emergency Management Planner / City Policy Officer
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Emergency Management Planner / City Policy Officer. The essential function of the position is to assist in the day-to-day emergency management and preparedness activities for the City with the #1 current focus of assisting with the City’s response and management to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Additionally, this position assists the City Manager in formulating and implementing a wide range of policies and programs in accordance with the Governing Body’s Strategic Priorities. This position reports to the Assistant City Manager-Operations (who is the City’s Emergency Management Coordinator) for Emergency Management related priorities and the City Manager for City policy related priorities.
As EM Planner, the position plans, analyzes, and develops the City emergency plans for response, recovery, and mitigation, manages preparedness programs, directs, and coordinates activations of the City Emergency Operations Center. As City Policy Officer, the position helps the City Manager with drafting City Polices, Governing Body Agenda Memos and Packets, City Ordinances, and conducts policy research and analysis. Additionally, interested applicants should be familiar with policy and advocacy work at the local, state, and federal levels.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Will report directly to the Assistant City Manager for Operations, and taskings and overall guidance from the City Manager.
- Will assist the Assistant City Manager for Operations with managing the City’s Emergency Management Program including overseeing the City’s COVID-19 Public Health Response with support from the Chief Public Health Coordinator.
- Will provide performance evaluations of ARPA programs such as Health, Mental Health and Housing to the City Manager.
- Will support the Assistant City Manager for Operations with managing the City’s communications strategy including social media and website. Special emphasis on communications outreach to unvaccinated residents to increase vaccination counts.
- Will develop/update the City’s Emergency Management Plans.
- Will coordinate/liaison with other departments for emergency management of the Federal, State, and Local levels.
- Will support the City Manager and Governing Body with drafting policies/ordinances/resolutions for the City of Manassas Park.
- Will support the City Manager & Assistant City Manager for Operations with responding to Governing Body requests for service and information.
- Will stay informed of legislative actions by the General Assembly of Virginia and provide updates to the Governing Body on any new legislation that will impact our City.
- Will draft the City’s Legislative Priorities for Governing Body approval to submit to our legislative representatives in the General Assembly of Virginia.
- Will support the City Manager & Assistant City Manager for Operations with developing and overseeing the City’s customer service program.
- Will support the City Manager with Strategic Planning and will support city Departments with collecting and analyzing performance data for City Manager review.
- Will provide support to the Development Services Division (zoning/code enforcement) for tracking all code and zoning violations status and informing residents and members of the Governing Body on status of violations.
- Will support Police Department with evaluating our Parking Enforcement Program.
- Manages, directs, and coordinates the activation and functions of the City’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC). This may include being available / on call 24/7 during emergencies.
- Manages and maintains EOC equipment, resources, and data systems, ensuring EOC capability and readiness in an emergency activation.
- Serves as liaison for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) to include the community in training exercises and emergency relief efforts.
- Conducts an analysis of potential hazards in the community and develops corresponding action plan.
- Assists with securing grant funding for emergency preparedness programs and equipment.
- Manages grant reimbursement efforts to facilitate the City’s economic recovery following disasters and major emergencies.
- Assists in the preparation, review, and justification of the annual departmental budget.
- Will be required to participate in continuing educational and professional opportunities such as the Virginia Emergency Management Symposium, Annual Legislative Day in Richmond, etc.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong Research and Analysis Skills.
- Strong Policy Writing Skills and Communications Skills (especially written).
- Emergency Management: Knowledge of the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) Operations, understanding of all-hazards emergency planning, National Incident Management System (NIMS) compliance, Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), emergency operations planning and response, and state and federal grant processes.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to coordinate, manage, and/or correlate data, includes exercising judgment in determining time, place and/or sequence of operations, referencing data analysis to determine necessity for revision of organizational components, and in the formulation of operational strategy.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to function in a managerial capacity for a division or organizational unit; includes the ability to make decisions on procedural and technical levels.
- Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, advisory and/or design data and information.
- Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ay include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions, may include ability to compute discount, interest, and ratios; may include ability calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or synthesis functions, to deal with several concrete and abstract variables; and to analyze major problems that require complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving broader aspects of organizational programs and operations, moderately unstable situation, or the direction, control and planning of an entire program or set of programs.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, smoke, and temperature extremes.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience
- The equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science, legislative affairs, public administration, emergency management, homeland security, public safety services management, or a related field.
- Preferred: A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in public policy, political science, legislative affairs, emergency management, homeland security, public safety services administration, public administration, or a related field. Completion of National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 and IS-800 courses, Incident Command System (ICS) 100, 200, 300, 400.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in public policy; or a combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A valid Virginia Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Authorized hiring range: $60,000.00 - $85,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.