CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Commercial Building Inspector
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Commercial Building Inspector. The essential function of the position within the organization is to review plans and inspect structures and facilities for compliance with building codes. The position is responsible for providing information, issuing permits, inspecting structures, enforcing codes, and reporting. The position works under general supervision according to some procedures; decides how and when to complete tasks.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Researches and maintains currency in all applicable building codes; advises citizens and building professionals on construction requirements.
- Reviews plans and specifications; advises citizens and building professionals on needed changes or corrections to meet codes.
- Assists with issuing building permits and inspection certificates; calculate permit fees and issue permits.
- Performs on-site inspections to ensure compliance with all applicable building codes; issues written warnings, citations, and violation notices.
- Responds to complaints of code violations; inspects and verifies compliance or non-compliance with applicable codes; investigates structures where fires have occurred.
- Resolves disputes over provisions of codes when required.
- Prepares logs, forms, and reports documenting results of inspections and other events or activities; enters and maintains building permit and plans records; testifies in court as required.
- Attends staff meetings to exchange information; attends classes or seminars to improve knowledge and skills.
- Performs routine office tasks, such as typing, filing, faxing, phoning, and copying.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Collects, classifies, and format data or information.
- Speaks with or signals to people to convey or exchange information.
- Uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may compute ratios, rates, and percentages.
- Reads technical instructions, charts, and/or procedures manuals; composes routine reports and completes job forms; speaks compound sentences using standard grammar.
- Performs skilled work involving rules/systems with almost constant problem solving; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results and occasional exposure to unusual pressure.
- Makes decisions with serious impact – affects most units in organization, and may affect citizens; probability of loss of life and/or damage are likely.
- Handles machines, tools, equipment, or work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items such as vehicles, computers for data entry, fax, copiers, or other similar equipment.
- Requires considerable responsibility for the safety and health of others and/or continuous enforcement of the laws and standards of public health and safety.
Minimum Education and Training
- High school diploma or GED, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Requires valid driver’s license.
- Requires various commercial Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development Certifications such as Building Inspector, Electrical Inspector, Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector or Commercial Combination Inspector.
- Requires four years of relatable experience.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Requires light to medium work involving standing or walking most of the time and exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis.
- The position is exposed to extreme heat and/or cold, bright/dim light, dusts and pollen, wet or humid conditions, extreme noise levels, animals/wildlife, fumes and/or noxious odors, traffic, moving machinery, electrical shock, and heights.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized hiring range: $54,000.00 - $85,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.