CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Zoning Enforcement Inspector
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Zoning Enforcement Inspector within the Department of Community Development. The Zoning Enforcement Inspector works directly with citizens, land owners, and business owners to maintain a clean, safe, and healthy community in the City of Manassas Park. Inspectors investigate complaints and proactively inspect properties to ensure compliance with property codes. When violations are discovered, the Zoning Enforcement Inspector communicates the existence of violations to the residents, homeowners, or business owners, and when necessary, initiates enforcement actions to bring the properties into compliance with the Code. The Zoning Enforcement Inspector may assist the Zoning Administrator with other planning and zoning responsibilities, as needed.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively patrols the City and responds to property condition related complaints from various sources.
- Knowledge of zoning regulations for the City of Manassas Park, and other property related sections of the City Code. When a violation of one of these provisions is noted, it must be conveyed to the responsible party.
- Possess strong office and organizational skills to produce professional correspondence and notices of violation, and ensure that detailed files are maintained.
- Communicate in verbal and written form with owners, tenants, neighbors, property managers, HOA representatives, and many others.
- Document conditions, communications, and correspondence regarding code violations so that they are admissible and favorable in a court of law. Enforcement actions range from documented verbal communication to court proceedings.
- Provide sworn testimony before court officials to obtain warrants and oversee enforcement actions through court proceedings, if necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to understand and interpret codes and ordinances.
- Ability to review plats, house location survey, construction plans & site plans.
- Strong office, data entry, document production, and recordkeeping skills.
- Availability to work nights and weekends as required.
- Ability to work independently and manage caseload with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish is a plus (i.e. verbally, written form).
Minimum Education and Training
- Virginia Association of Zoning Officials / Certified Zoning Official certification preferred.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License with good driving record.
- Any combination of education, credentials, or experience deemed equivalent to these education and experience requirements may be considered.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Requires light to medium work involving standing or walking most of the time, exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis, and considerable skill, adeptness, and speed in the use of the fingers, hands, or limbs in tasks involving close tolerances.
- The position is exposed to extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, bright/dim lights, dust or pollen, intense noise levels, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, heights, and traffic.
The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized hiring range: $18.42 - $29.47 per hour
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.