Child Protective Services Hotline – 1-800-552-7096
Adult Protective Services Hotline – 1-888-832-3858
Child Protective Services
Since 1975, the Virginia Department of Social Services has supervised the Child Protective Services Program that is administered by local departments of social services in every locality in the state. This program offers a specialized continuum of service for abused, neglected or exploited children. The focus of services is on identification and assessment in an effort to protect children, preserve families, and prevent further maltreatment. Child Protective Services is non-punitive in its approach and is directed toward enabling families to provide adequate care for their children.
Local departments of social services are responsible for receiving reports of abuse and neglect; conducting investigations to determine the validity of Child Protective Services reports; and providing services that enhance child safety and prevent further abuse and neglect to families and children.
A 24-hour child abuse and neglect hotline provides access to social services 24/7. To report concerns regarding child abuse and neglect call 703-335-8880 during business hours or after business hours call 1-800-552-7096
Adult Services/Adult Protective Services
Adult Services Program (ASP) provides empowerment, protection and the opportunity for independence to adults through a focus on individual self-reliance and choice, person-centered planning and support, and community-based services.
The goals of ASP are to:
- Maximize the adult's independence, self-sufficiency and personal choice
- Prevent the inappropriate or premature institutionalization of incapacitated or older adults
- Protect older and incapacitated adults from abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Prevent the abuse, neglect or exploitation of older and incapacitated adults
- Assist when necessary with appropriate long-term care planning or alternative placement
To report concerns regarding Adult Protective Services call 888-832-3858