Q: What is an Officer of Elections?
A: An officer of elections is a citizen who is a registered voter in the Commonwealth of Virginia. They work the polls on the day of an election. Their term last one year and they work all elections that take place during the year.
Q: Will you be trained?
A: Yes, there is training before each election and there is a small amount paid to attend.
Q: What do I have to do?
A: Report to work on election day at the polling location by 5:00am, help with set up of the polls, open voting machines, work the registration tables, machines and doors(our precinct workers are cross trained), close the precinct, remain at the polls until work is completed.
Are required to work form 5:00 am until all paperwork is complete. Based on election type you could be finished anywhere from 8:30 pm or later.
- Please ask about 1/2 day shifts starting at 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. and second shift starts at 12:00 noon until all paperwork is complete usually around 8:30 p.m. .
- Are required to attend a training class. Classes can last approximately 1 and a half to 2 hours and are held before each election.
- Are legally responsible for the conduct of the election, including checking names and ID's, operating voting machines and being available to the Electoral Board or State Board if questions arise.
- Are required to subscribe to an Election Officer Oath administered by the Chief Officer before the polls open on election day.
- Choose to represent either the Democratic or Republican Party.
- Will serve under the Chief Officer in the precinct.
- Must be strictly impartial at all times, not discussing politics, candidates or issues.
- Must arrive on time and may not leave the polling place during his/her shift.
- Are expected to dress appropriately but comfortably.
- Are expected to work, not visit with friends and neighbors.
- May not use cell phones, pagers or electronic devices in the polling place.
Position pays $20.00 for mandatory classes. And $126.00 for the full day shift and $63.00 for 1/2 day shifts.
Please submit your application via the State Board of Elections Website or mail in a filled out printed copy of the document below. Hope to see you soon!
Please send the completed form to:
One Park Center Court
Manassas Park, Va. 20111