CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Economic Development Coordinator
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Economic Development Coordinator. The essential function of the position is to plan, organize, and administer a comprehensive economic development program for the City which includes business attraction, retention and expansion, and tourism marketing and attraction expansion. Specifically, this position will lead the City’s efforts at economic recovery during and post the COVID-19 pandemic including managing the City’s American Rescue Plan funding programed towards this effort. The position is responsible for program planning and development, service delivery, staff supervision, training, budgeting, and reporting. The position provides professional leadership and judgment in all aspects of developing and maintaining economic development strategies, using creative and innovative concepts.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage City’s American Rescue Plan Economic Development Program including Business Grants, and to struggling industries and job training.
- Recognize opportunities for economic enhancement and area revitalization, and develop appropriate projects, programs, and partnerships to implement them, to include the City’s existing businesses in promoting expansionary programs focused on workforce development and capital investment as a means of growing the City’s economic profile.
- Provide assistance to potential businesses or development interests on a variety of economic development topics including, but not limited to, regulatory issues, real estate development, and identifying sources of business development funding.
- Act as a liaison between various departments and staff in dealing with developers and businesses to aid in streamlining the process and ensuring internal project coordination.
- Coordinate all economic development activities of the City under the direction of the City Manager and Assistant City Manager, including, but not limited to business recruitment and retention, expediting development review, facilitating development agreements, and other critical development negotiations.
- Develop any policies and updates to revise the City’s Comprehensive Plan, related functional plans, and associated development regulations as it pertains to economic development.
- Negotiate contracts with consultants and vendors to implement City initiatives for economic development.
- Apply for grants and other financial assistance supporting the City’s economic development program.
- Assess municipal processes/programs/strategies in relation to the success of appropriate businesses in the City; recommend adjustments in programs, policies, and procedures to further economic development goals.
- Propose and work with staff on special projects, resolutions, ordinances, staff reports, and other official documents as required related to economic development.
- Initiate/maintain relationships with small and large business in the community and provide guidance and assistance as feasible to support and grow business by planning, organizing, and performing periodic communication with business and businesses and property owners utilizing various correspondence methods to assess concerns and opportunities.
- Develop efficient methods of formulating and maintaining current, vital economic data including, but not limited to, real estate and business trends, employment/training efforts and related issues.
- Establish a baseline of information including, but not limited to, analysis and research of competitive markets.
- Propose and work with staff to utilize economic data sources and GIS to provide interested citizens and prospective clients with demographics, maps, statistics, and other information as necessary.
- Perform long range planning and economic development studies and develop long and short-range plans for economic development and related regulations.
- Manage and operate a revenue model for determining public revenues from development projects.
- Attend Governing Body meetings, committee or commission meetings, and other meetings as required to make presentations to City officials, supervisors, commission, other public agencies, civic groups, and the public.
- Record and prepare minutes, compile agendas, maintain documentation and files for various meetings including, but not limited to, the City’s EDA.
- Assist other departments/executive staff with complex projects or initiatives.
- Coordinate strategic partnerships between local agencies, including but not limited to, the Chamber of Commerce/School Department/local business associations/property owner associations; regional, state, and/or federal governments in order to provide coordinated and comprehensive service delivery.
- Provide accurate, timely information to citizens, property owners, permit applicants, real estate agents, public officials, and any other interested parties.
- Assume other duties as requested by the City Manager or his/her designee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills, and the ability to communicate professionally, clearly, and effectively with City staff, elected officials, and appointed members of the EDA.
- Effective interpersonal skills using professionalism, patience, and courtesy.
- Decision-making, problem-solving, leadership and conflict-resolution skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Strong focus on developing policies, strategies, plans, and projects related to the City’s Comprehensive Plan and Zoning requirements that optimize the City’s economic outcomes.
- Database skills including database design and analysis, to include proficiency with GIS, Microsoft Office, and other software applications or other programs as required by the job to perform substantive due diligence and research in the performance of your duties.
- Knowledge of Virginia government procedures related to economic development to include land use, planning, zoning, proffers, incentives, and grant writing.
- Knowledge of marketing best practices as it pertains to promoting the City’s economic vitality to include experience with any relevant software applications.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Economic or Real Estate Development or a related field.
- Certification as a Certified Economic Developer (CED) preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible management experience in local government planning and economic development, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- May be asked to obtain and maintain certifications by the International Economic Development council; may be required to obtain additional certification(s) as deemed necessary by the City.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Authorized hiring range: $60,000.00 - $90,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.