CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Backflow - Cross Connection Specialist
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Backflow - Cross Connection Specialist. The City of Manassas Park is 2.5 square-mile, incorporated City with a general population of over 17,000. The area is mostly single family residential, with some commercial, industrial and multi-family properties. The VRE station (commuter rail) is within the city center.
General Statement of Job
Under direction of the Public Works Superintendent, the Backflow – Cross Connection Specialist will establish, implement and enforce the City’s Cross Connection Control Program. Tasks include the installation, inspection, testing and certification of backflow prevention devices, develop and maintain a backflow prevention device database, investigation and identification of compliance issues, communication with regulatory agencies as required.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop/maintain an annual backflow testing and maintenance schedule and monthly notification.
- Program; coordinate and perform the installation, testing, maintenance and repair of backflow prevention devices throughout the City.
- Enforce public health regulations relating to backflow and cross connection control within the City of Manassas Park’s water system. Conduct cross connection surveys and inspections in order to identify water user premises where cross connections are likely to occur.
- Develop and maintain accurate electronic records (database) of backflow prevention device locations, testing, repairs and other pertinent information.
- Provide customers with the proper documentation stating installation standards and time frame for compliance.
- Write inspection reports and notify customers of violations.
- Inspect premises for cross connections; certify backflow prevention devices on new construction or remodels when building permits have been issued.
- Provide information concerning the City’s Cross Connection Control Program as necessary to other City departments, governmental agencies, contractors, architects and engineers.
- Maintain the City of Manassas Park’s list of certified backflow assembly testers.
- Test, maintain and repair backflow prevention devices on City property and buildings.
- Troubleshoot and respond to complaints on backflow prevention devices within the City’s water distribution system meet with customers to discuss their backflow prevention needs and advise them when upgrades are required.
- Inspect water tank trucks to ensure that trucks have proper air-gap separations and maintain appropriate records.
- Meet with State Health Inspector as needed for review and audit of City’s Cross Connection Control Program.
- Issue hydrant permits and assist with enforcement of hydrant meter program; may help read, repair and test hydrant meters.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Supplemental Duties: Support of Water / Wastewater Division and Emergency Work
- Will assist with repairs and installation of sewer and water pump stations, sanitary force mains, water, and sanitary and storm sewers as needed, using basic plumbing tools, including: tapping machine, pipe cutters, reamer, pipe wrenches and other assorted pneumatic and hydraulic tools.
- Assists with the installation and/or disconnection of water and/or sewer services.
- Inspects water meters and connections for defects, damage and unauthorized connections installs water meters and ensures that meters are registering properly.
- Assists with cost estimates and with ordering materials as needed. May be deemed essential personnel at any time.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws/codes, knowledge of all regulations related to Cross Connection Control and The Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Knowledge of inspection methods, testing, repair and certification or cross connection control devices including backflow prevention devices and those pertaining to water meters, motors and pumps in compliance with State, County and City ordinances and regulations.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, tools, equipment and parts used in the testing, maintenance and repair of backflow prevention and related devices and municipal water system components.
- Knowledge of safety principles and practices including electricity, hydraulics and work in confined spaces.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and the ability to apply mathematical reasoning, basic written and oral communication skill, basic knowledge/use of Microsoft Office applications. Experience with Cross-connection related software is preferred.
- Ability to enforce cross control and backflow device regulations and rules through investigation and identification of non-compliance.
- Ability to exercise initiative and judgement relative to enforcement activities and to deal tactfully with the public.
- Ability to develop and maintain complex manual and electronic records and report preparation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, coworkers, City officials, and members of diverse cultural, linguistic and social-economic backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability or political affiliation.
- Ability to multitask, organize and prioritize in a busy environment and to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read/interpret plan drawing and blueprints.
- Ability to perform medium-duty manual labor including lifting/carrying up to 75 pounds.
- Willingness to work overtime hours or to respond to emergency calls during unscheduled hours as required. May receive HAZMAT training as related to the response plan for emergency operations.
Minimum Education and Training
Any combination of experience and training equivalent to the knowledge and expertise required to perform the duties outlined in the job description. At a minimum, qualifying experience/education should consist of:
Three years’ experience of being fully responsible for administering a Cross Connection Program, including the installation, repair and maintenance of backflow preventers and related equipment including but not limited to plumbing or piping systems. High school diploma, or GED required; an Associate’s Degree or Certificate in Water Technology or related field is desirable.
· Possession of a Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester’s Certificate and a Cross Connection Control Specialist Grade I Certificate form the American Water Works Association (AWWA).
· Possession of a valid certification for application, installation, repair, and maintenance of backflow preventers issued by a school approved by the Virginia Cross Connection Control Association and endorsed by the Virginia Department of Health, or the ability to obtain this certification within 12 months of employment.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License in accordance with City policy, with a Class C Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) certification within six months of employment.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described her are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform he essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires sufficient mobility to work in an office and field setting requires the ability to stand, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, squat, and walk on uneven terrain, loose soil and sloped surfaces; also requires a sense of touch, finger dexterity, and gripping with hands and fingers. May require specialized clothing or use of common personal protective equipment.
- Position requires occasionally climbing vertical ladders up to 30 feet; lift and carry 45 pounds of field equipment; lift up to 30 pounds for purposes of lifting and placing construction plans or other documents in a location for review. Will require confined space entry. Ability to walk one mile per inspection.
- Work is performed in a typical outdoor environment on a year-round basis subject to normal street or field noise including exposure to loud equipment or machinery. Outdoor work may be performed during inclement weather when necessary. Work may also be performed in confined spaces which may result in exposure to hazardous atmospheric conditions. Incumbents are required to drive City vehicles to work locations and meeting locations at various sites in addition to travel as necessary.
Authorized Hiring Range: $51,346 - $82,153
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link:
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department. This position will remain open until filled.