CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Emergency Communication Specialist
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
Under general supervision, performs work involving answering emergency and non-emergency voice and TDD calls and dispatching appropriate response units. Inputs information into the computer records management system and computer aide dispatching system. Monitors and dispatches emergency radio traffic. Responsible for relaying sensitive police information to law enforcement officers and neighboring law enforcement agencies on suspect and wanted persons.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Emergency call taking on 911/Next Generation 911 and/or conventional phone lines.
- Answer routine phone calls from general public.
- Determines the nature of reported incident and assigns appropriate resources to mitigate.
- Prepares written reports and correspondence related to shift activities.
- Answers emergency and non-emergency voice and TDD calls from the public; determines the nature of the call; determines correct signal and/or code; assigns priority to call; simultaneously enters information into computer.
- Maintains awareness of available response units in order to dispatch calls appropriately and efficiently.
- Refers non-emergency calls, not requiring police or fire dispatch, to appropriate unit.
- Retrieves and enters information into computer.
- Provides technical assistance to staff on complex or unusual incident reports.
- Prepares reports of unit activities in order to document volume of work and types of incident reports taken.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Utilize the City’s Mass Notification System; Everbridge.
- Requires shift work; holidays, weekends, day shift, evening shift and night shift.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Compiles, examines, or evaluates data or information and possibly recommends action based on results.
- Issues service orders and coordinates needed work with field personnel.
- Performs semi-routine work involving set procedures and rules, but with frequent problems; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results or occasional exposure to unusual pressure.
- Makes decisions with moderate impact which may affect customers.
- Handles equipment or work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items, such as computers; software programs, spreadsheets or custom applications; printers; complex copiers including scanners; keyboards; facsimile machines; and other similar equipment.
- Geography of the City of Manassas Park is required.
- Operation of Computer Aided Dispatch and other telecommunication equipment. Operation of VCIN, NCIC and other computer systems used tin emergency operations.
- Ability to follow and adhere department/city policies, procedures and practices of emergency communications and dispatch operations. Understand oral and written instructions.
- Understand basic law enforcement procedures.
- Self-motivated staff member and desires further training and professional development.
- Typing and computer keyboard skills.
- Communicating clearly and effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain control and critical decision making during stressful and life and death situations commonly encountered as Emergency Communications Specialist.
Minimum Education and Training
- High school diploma or GED, or an equivalent combination of education and or training.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Any combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- NCIC/VICN Certified/or the ability obtain within 6 months of hire date.
- Successfully pass Basic Dispatcher Certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia DCJS
- Must be able to pass a written examination, pass a background investigation and polygraph.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, and color perception.
- The position requires the use of hands and fingers to seize, hold, grasp or turn objects and to reach with hands, and arms, and talk or hear.
Authorized Hiring Range: $40,439-$45,000
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: https://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html