Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Park Laborer with the Department of Parks & Recreation. The essential function of the position within the organization is to assist with the maintenance of City outdoor areas, facilities, structures, and fixtures. The position is responsible for grounds maintenance, maintenance and repair of park, athletic, or other structures, fixtures, or equipment, setting up for events, and other outdoor related tasks.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
·Completes maintenance work to ensure conformance to specifications, standards, and contract requirements.
· Inventories supplies of tools, equipment, and materials to ensure that sufficient supplies are available and items are in usable condition.
· Cares for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and removing thatch, and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and walls.
· Mows and edges lawns, using power mowers and edgers.
· Plants seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, and shrubs, and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools.
· Performs asphalt paving, concrete, fencing, and other grounds maintenance projects as needed.
· Prepares facilities and fixtures for use by preparing athletic areas for events, maintaining public facilities, and repairing fixtures, signs, roads, walkways, and equipment.
· Monitors and inspects all areas for safety hazards and repairs or reports and deficiencies.
· Assists with activities such as snow, ice, and leaf removal.
· Maintains supplies and materials; picks up and delivers materials as directed.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Compares or inspects data, people, or things against a standard.
· Requires some responsibility for achieving minor economies and/or preventing minor losses through the handling of or accounting for materials, supplies, or small amounts of money.
· Uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may compute ratios, rates, and percentages.
· Reads simple sentences or instructions; writes simple sentences; speaks simple sentences using basic grammar.
· Performs semi-routine work following procedures, with occasional problems; requires normal attention for accurate results.
· Makes decisions with moderately serious impact – affects work unit and may affect other units of citizens.
· Handles machines, tools, equipment, or work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items.
· Requires some responsibility for safety and health of hers and/or for occasional enforcement of the standards of public safety or health.
Minimum Education and Training
· Requires less than completion of high school.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving sitting, standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
2. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking and color perception.
3. Some tasks may require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
4. Performance of duties may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, traffic hazards, toxic agents and/or animal/wildlife attacks.
Authorized hiring range: $10.00 - $14.00 per hour
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.