CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Crew Worker I (Stormwater). The City of Manassas Park is 2.5 square-mile, incorporated City with a general population of over 14,000. The area is mostly single family residential, with some commercial, industrial and multi-family properties. The VRE station (commuter rail) is within the city center. Requirements include high school diploma, GED, or vocational training and a valid Virginia driver’s license.
General Statement of Job
This is an entry-level position in the Department of Public Works (DPW) with special emphasis on maintenance of existing stormwater facilities, drainage areas, right of way areas, and public facilities; this position also participates in the inspection of developer construction sites to ensure that public infrastructure is construed in compliance with the City’s Public Facilities Manual, and in compliance with site plan conditions. Since this is an entry-level position, it is assumed that the incumbent will require training on the safe operation of all equipment and for all but the most basic tasks. The position requires the operation of various types of equipment, power tools, motorized devices, and heavy machinery including mowers, tractors, trimmers, chainsaws, chippers, saws, drills, and other equipment. Daily activities will include physical tasks such as mowing grass, removing brush and undergrowth, trimming hedges and bushes, hand excavation, and the use of various hand tools. The position assists other infrastructure teams in the repair and installation of other infrastructure, and other duties as assigned. The position must perform certain administrative tasks including observation and monitoring of the work of others, documentation of work performed and observed conditions, and other reporting tasks.
The position requires acquisition of basic knowledge of new infrastructure installation methods, standards, and industry best practices on an ongoing basis. The position requires participation in professional training and the ability to acquire certifications through various government and professional organizations. As the incumbent’s knowledge base and skill set expand, he will be introduced to tasks with greater responsibility. Cross-training between the Stormwater, Water/Sewer, and Streets crews is also an important feature of the DPW work culture.
The position works under direct supervision according to set procedures.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Inspects and maintains stormwater conveyance channels, creeks, ditches, drains, ponds, underground facilities, and other stormwater related facilities.
2. Performs inspection of developer construction sites for compliance with the City’s Public Facilities Manual and site plan conditions.
3. Performs stormwater, erosion and sediment control inspections.
4. Is a responsible steward of City resources, and actively seeks opportunities for economies, and actively prevents unnecessary losses.
5. Assists other teams as required, and may instruct or assign duties to coworkers.
6. Operates a variety of powered and hand operated machinery and equipment in the maintenance and repair of public infrastructure and facilities. Exercises good judgement in the selection of appropriate tools / equipment in the performance of assigned tasks.
7. Transports workers, leads or oversees other workers, manages traffic, and assists other workers in infrastructure and facility maintenance.
8. Performs administrative or operating tasks such as completing work orders and forms, answering phones, filing records, cleaning work areas, and maintaining supplies and materials.
9. Makes decisions with the potential for moderately serious impact to his work unit, other units or the citizenry.
10. In conjunction with his supervisor, develops a training plan for appropriate state certifications (e.g. work zone safety, hazardous materials skills, erosion and sediment control inspector training, etc.).
11. Exercises joint responsibility with the rest of his team for the safety and health of himself, other members of the team, and for the general public. Also exercises joint responsibility with his team for the enforcement of the standards of public safety and health.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Ability to accurately record, copy, transcribe, enter, and post data or information.
2. Ability to perform routine arithmetic tasks, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may compute rations, rates, and percents.
3. Ability to read and understand routine sentences or instructions; to write routine sentences and completes routine work forms; to speak routine sentences using standard grammar.
4. Ability to perform semi-routine work involving set procedures and rules, ability to address situations not covered by set procedures and rules.
5. Must possess normal attention span requiring short periods of concentration for accurate results; must be able to maintain concentration in high pressure circumstances.
Minimum Education and Training
1. High school diploma or GED, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
2. Requires valid driver’s license or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
3. Requires three months of related experience.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires medium to heavy work involving exerting up to 50 pounds of force on a frequent basis (and exceptional dexterity and skill in operating machinery, tools, or office equipment).
2. The position is exposed to extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, bright/dim lights, dust or pollen, intense noise levels, vibration, fumes or noxious odors, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, and traffic.
3. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, and speaking.
Authorized Hiring Range: $28,591 - $37,168 - $45,746
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 /
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department. This position will remain open until filled.