CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Therapeutic Recreation Aide
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation seeks a Therapeutic Recreation Aide for the Recreation Services Division. The Therapeutic Recreation Aide will provide direct support to the Recreation Leader, while adhering to City of Manassas Park employment standards. Work is performed under the general direction of the Recreation Leader and Recreation Services Supervisor.
DEFINITION OF POSITION:
The Therapeutic Recreation Aide is responsible for assisting in the administration of activities and programs within the Buddy Club. Under the direction of a Recreation Leader, the position is responsible for assisting in programming and implementation of day-to-day operations and activities for individuals with cognitive and physical disabilities. The Therapeutic Recreation Aide is tasked with implementing established plans, policies, goals and objectives of the Buddy Club. Duties include but are not limited to, creating programs collaboratively with staff and participants and supervising individual and group activities by providing guidance and corrective actions when necessary. Employee must adhere to all Department and the City of Manassas Park policies and procedures. The position is responsible for ensuring the safety of participants in a busy, drop-in setting.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Assists in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of Buddy Club activities.
Provides classroom/class management with patience and creativity.
Assists in the set up and breakdown of activities.
Supervises activities and communicate with participants, parents, and staff regarding appropriate behavior.
Demonstrates the ability to be flexible and work independently with adults with disabilities.
Accommodates the special needs of adults with physical, emotional, behavioral and mental disabilities, by providing appropriate support to the adults’ abilities.
Professional, self-directed, motivated, and possesses a creative approach to programming.
Ability to establish and maintain good personal relations with other employees and the public.
Ensures that department policies, goals, projects, and programs are completed in such a way as to provide the maximum level of enjoyment by patrons.
The following are the minimum qualifications to apply:
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Availability to work mornings and early afternoons
• Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness when interpreting and applying guidelines
• Commitment to high quality execution and detail oriented
• High School diploma or equivalent, and leadership experience working with youth, teens or adults in some capacity. Some previous experience planning and leading activities for individuals with disabilities is preferred
• Good customer service skills, ethics, and effective teamwork
• Skilled in positive interactions, patience, listening, prioritizing, multi-tasking, and maintaining boundaries
• Ability to be committed to providing quality programming based on our mission, vision, and value. Safely manage groups of adults with disabilities; learn and enforce department policies and procedures; plan and lead activities in a safe and fun manner; communicate effectively and courteously with the public and City staff; proactively deal with safety and behavior concerns; work independently to complete tasks; follow written and verbal instruction
Hourly range: $7.25-$11.00 DOE. Expected hours between 15–17 per week. Shifts are Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30am-2:30pm.
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation, 99 Adams Street, Manassas Park, VA 20111.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link, or requesting one from the front desk at the Community Center.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.