CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Recreation Leader - Office for Teens
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation seeks a Recreation Leader in the Office for Teens Division who will provide recreational program support while adhering to City of Manassas Park employment standards. Work is performed under the general direction of the Recreation Services Supervisor.
DEFINITION OF POSITION:
The Recreation Leader for Teens is responsible for administration of activities and programs in the Teens Division. Recreation Leader safely provides enrichment programs for teens ages 13-18. The Recreation Leader is tasked with implementing established plans, policies, goals and objectives of the Office for Teens Division. Duties include but are not limited to creating programs collaboratively with staff and teens; supervising group activities by providing guidance and discipline when necessary; adhering to and enforcing the Teen Center's and the City of Manassas Park's policies and procedures; and maintaining the facility, organizing, and cleaning as needed. The position is responsible for ensuring the safety of participants in a busy, drop-in setting.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Planning and implementing age-appropriate recreation programs for teens.
Assist in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of teen passport programs.
Provide classroom/class management.
Supervise activities and communicate with participants, parents and staff regarding appropriate behavior.
Being professional, self-directed, motivated, and possess a creative approach to programming.
Ability to establish and maintain good personal relations with other employees and the public.
Research and recommend opportunities for teen programs and community partnerships with outside organizations.
Assist in ensuring that the policies, goals, projects, and programs are completed in such a way as to provide the maximum level of enjoyment by patrons.
The following are the minimum qualifications to apply:
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Availability to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines.
• Commitment to high quality execution and detail oriented.
• High School diploma or equivalent, and leadership experience working with teens. Some previous experience planning and leading activities with teens in recreation, art, education, physical education, at-risk-youth, or related field is preferred.
• Good customer service skills, ethics, and effective teamwork.
• Skilled in positive teen interactions, patience, listening, prioritizing, multi-tasking, and maintaining boundaries.
• Ability to be committed to providing quality programming based on our mission, vision, and values; safely manage groups of teens; oversee teen and adult volunteers; learn and enforce department policies and procedures; plan and lead youth programs in a safe and fun manner; communicate effectively and courteously with the public and City staff; proactively deal with safety and behavior concerns; work independently to complete tasks; follow written and verbal instructions.
Hourly range - $9.00 - $15.00 DOE. Expected hours between 14–18 per week. Shifts include late afternoon, evening and weekend hours.
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation, 99 Adams Street, Manassas Park, VA 20111.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link, or requesting one from the front desk at the Community Center.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.