CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Building Official within the Department of Community Development. The essential function of the position within the organization is to oversee the enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code for the City of Manassas Park, including field operations, and administrative functions. This position is responsible for ensuring adherence to the standards of the VUSBC, including performing and overseeing plan reviews, building inspections, permitting, and application of maintenance standards. The position requires assisting engineers, architects, contractors, and homeowners regarding code and construction information. The position develops and implements programs within organizational policies; reports major activities to executive level administrators through conferences and reports.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Administration & Operations
· Supervises employees including selecting or recommending selection, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining, and terminating or recommending termination.
· Monitors and reviews work assignments and determines resources required such as workers, materials, tools, and equipment; secures and prepares resources to complete work requirements.
· Plans and schedules work and issues assignments, routes, or other work related details.
· Oversees work, ensuring compliance with safety requirements, laws, policy, and procedures; assists with projects as necessary.
· Inspects buildings and building plans for compliance with building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire, and other codes; responds to, and investigates, complaints of building code and maintenance code non-compliance; enforces the building code; issues notices and citations.
· Reviews and oversees the review of plans and construction documents and the issuance of building permits.
· Provides guidance and public education on code compliance; assists citizens, contractors, engineers and architects with general and complex technical questions.
· Researches and analyzes data, completes forms, and writes technical reports.
· Attends or conducts staff meetings to exchange information; attends, and schedules others to attend, in-service training and technical or professional classes, seminars, or conferences to improve technical or professional skills.
· Oversees the calculation and collection of fees, accounts for expenses and revenues, and makes recommendations for fee adjustments.
· Ensures timely inspection and administrative process in post-incident situations, and other matters of unsafe and unfit structures.
· Provides guidance to the Development Services Manager, Facilities Manager, and City Manager on facility compliance and maintenance issues.
· Works with the Fire Marshal on maintenance and code compliance issues.
· Works with the Development Services Manager and Code Enforcement Inspectors on property maintenance and non-permitted work issues.
· Assists with preparations for emergency operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Synthesizes or integrates analysis of data or information to discover facts or develop knowledge or interpretations; modifies policies, procedures, or methodologies based on findings.
· Instructs or trains others through explanation, demonstration, and supervised practice, or by making recommendations on the basis of technical disciplines.
· Requires responsibility and opportunity for achieving major economies and/or preventing major losses through the management of a moderate sized department, authorizing expenditures of large amounts of money, or supervising the purchasing of high value materials, supplies and equipment.
· Uses practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions, measurements, or logarithms; may use algebraic solutions of equations and equalities, deductive geometry, and/or descriptive statistics.
· Reads professional publications; composes complex reports and manuals; speaks formally to groups outside the organization.
· Performs supervisory work involving policy and guidelines, solving both people and work related problems; requires continuous, close attention for accurate results and frequent exposure to unusual pressure.
· Makes decisions with extremely serious impact – affects entire organization and impacts other activities/organizations and the general public; loss of life and/or damage is highly likely.
· Supervises the handling of machines, tools, equipment, or work aids involving extensive latitude for judgments regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items.
· Requires management level responsibility for application and interpretation of the policies regarding the provision of continuous enforcement of the laws and standards of public health and safety.
Minimum Education and Training
· Requires education or training equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or a closely related field.
· Requires certification as a Building Official through the VA DHCD, or ability to obtain such certification within 6 months of hire.
· Requires eight years of related experience.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.1.
- Requires light to medium work involving standing or walking most of the time, exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis, and considerable skill, adeptness, and speed in the use of the fingers, hands, or limbs in tasks involving close tolerances.
- The position is exposed to extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, bright/dim lights, dust or pollen, intense noise levels, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, heights, and traffic.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized hiring range: $73,000.00 - $105,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.